Author Topic: Pressure switch on-off range  (Read 5107 times)

Kent M

• View Profile
Pressure switch on-off range
« on: August 12, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »
All the factory presets I've seen are a spread of 20 psi - 20/40, 30/50, 40/60, etc.  If I went to a CSV1A, would there be a problem adjusting a 50/70 to a 60/70 setting, and running the CSV1A at, say, 65?  I have a twenty gallon tank, so the draw-down with a 10psi differential would still be a couple gallons, which should ensure enough pump run time for short usages.

Would the air pressure still be set at ~2psi below the turn on pressure for a 10 psi spread?   

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pressure switch on-off range
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 04:18:01 PM »
No problem running 10 PSI between on and off if you can find a pressure switch that will do that.  We have an electronic pressure switch in our discontinued products line on our DIY web site that will do it.

But you shouldn't need to worry about it with a 20 gallon tank.  That tank only holds 5 gallons of water anyway.  And you will quickly use up that 5 gallons when adjusting the shower temp and the pump will be on before you know it.  Even with a 3 GPM showerhead you would only have to wait 1 minute for the pump to come on.

You could also use a smaller tank like the 4.5 gallon size, then there is basically no waiting for the constant pressure from the CSV.

Kent M

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 04:45:34 PM »
Thanks, Cary.

I was thinking of using a pressure switch with two adjustment nuts.  From what I've read, the large nut moves the entire range, but keeps the spread.  The small nut adjusts the differential by raising or lowering just the cut-out setting.  So theoretically, I could buy a 60/80, then use the small nut to lower it to a 60/70.

In any case, I'd probably buy one that's in the ballpark and try it out to see if the wait time for constant pressure is even noticeable, before monkeying with it.

We have a Laing Autocirc pump to maintain hot water, so it's usually only 7-8 seconds of wait time for the shower to get warm enough to use.  Saves on time and water, but wastes a bit of electricity and gas.  I call it a wash...pun intended.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 07:13:08 AM »
Yeah but even loosening all the way on the smaller adjustment screw you will only get down to 17 or maybe 15 PSI between on and off with those regular pressure switches.  Still maybe OK.  Reducing the air charge in the tank will also make it hold less water and the pump to come on sooner.

DWJ624

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
I received and installed my pside-kick approx 2 weeks ago.
For the past 2 weeks have been very happy with it with one exception... the P-O-S made in China pressure switch.
From the beginning I have never been able to get a 20 PSI differential.
When first installed it was not set at 40/60 as advertised but was at 28/58. Since I intended to set at 50/70 anyway I backed small nut off completely then adjusted cut in/out using large nut.After much adjustment (I have had considerable experience with pressure switches though most commonly the Square D brand) the best I can get is 44/70. However, given the small tank etc. I figured I could live with that.
Unfortunately another problem has reared it's ugly head. Twice now in the past 3 days I have lost water. Upon investigation, though the pressure switch contacts appear closed a meter across the terminals verifying input power and those supplying power to the pump indicate that they are not. This is further evidenced by the simple fix of snapping the contacts opened/closed a couple times appears to resolve the issue for some period of time.
Bottom line is that when the system is working it works very well however, I am off to Home Depot to buy a new switch (Square D) and that those considering buying one of these kits might want to have an extra switch on hand as you might need it much sooner than later.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 07:36:42 AM »
Sorry you had a problem with the pressure switch.  But we have had very good luck with the Merril switch.  You are the first one out of many thousands that has had a problem.  Of course we will gladly replace the switch.  We have had problems with the Square D that is made in Mexico, so we switched to the Merril made in China, and have had really good luck so far.  There are too many government regulations to get anything manufactured in the US anymore, so we are stuck with the lesser of two evils, made in China or made in Mexico.  At least is is just a 25 dollar pressure switch that can easily be replaced.

We do try to make as much of the Cycle Stop Valve here in Lubbock Texas as we can.  But even then usually one or two parts are made overseas, as it is impossible to procure a US manufacturer for many items.  I am all for Made in the USA.  But we will need a big change in the political environment for that to happen. 
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:55:36 PM by Cary Austin »