Author Topic: Pressure goes from bad to worse after adjustment  (Read 4064 times)

Benson

• View Profile
Pressure goes from bad to worse after adjustment
« on: April 19, 2016, 08:26:59 PM »
I have submersible pump with pressure tank. I've had pretty low water pressure in upstairs for quite some time (years!). In an attempt to "improve" things, I adjusted the tank so it clicks on at 30 and clicks off at 50. I also pumped air in the tank to bring it up to 28 pounds. It seemed to improve things for about a week, but now things are worse than they were before. I noticed a few symptoms that I thought might help someone with experience diagnose my issue (these symptoms were occurring before I adjusted it -- I noticed them while trying to adjust it):
- when the pressure reaches its cut off point and the pump shuts off, the pressure drops somewhere between 5 and 10 pounds before it stabilizes.  It does stabilize though. 
- I notice that the pressure needle is quite jumpy when it reaches the cut-on point too.
- when the pressure tank is filling, the *rate* at which the pressure climbs also goes up
- when the water pump kicks off, the tubing that goes to the pump shakes back and forth significantly and makes a noise that can be heard upstairs
- our water does have some sand in it; it has had for years.
- there is a check valve on the pump side of the pressure tank (in the basement, near the pressure tank). 
- I don't think that the pressure tank is water logged.  It seems to have maintained its pressure after I filled it.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pressure goes from bad to worse after adjustment
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 07:10:12 AM »
Sounds like you may have a check valve problem.  I would remove the check valve before the pressure tank and see if the one on the pump is working as it should.  You can just gut the check valve and put it back as a coupling to put the pipe together.

Benson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 09:11:41 AM »
Thanks!  That makes sense.  As I recall, though the well is shallow, due to build up on the inside of the casing, the pump is pretty difficult to pull.  (Its been about 20 years since it was pulled last).   Supposing that the check valve at the pump is bad, would it work to install a new check valve at the pressure tank?   Perhaps the check valve at the pressure tank is "good" but not "real good", if you know what I mean, so replacing it might solve my problem without having to pull the pump?  I'm thinking it would be like putting your finger over a straw.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 10:31:25 AM »
Both check valves have to be leaking for the tank to lose water and the pressure to drop.  And yes adding a new one up top will probably stop the pressure from dropping after the pump shuts off.  But it IS like putting your finger over a straw full of ice tea.  The water is held in the pipe by a negative pressure.  So when the pump comes on, it only has to produce a thimble full of water to change the pressure in the pipe from negative to positive.  The resulting shock wave will hit the new check up top like a Prize Fighter hitting you right in the nose.  You will hear and feel a "thump" when the pump starts.  This water hammer can split pipe, break fittings, even shatter the thrust bearing in the motor.

I would try to remove the upper check by the tank, or at least remove it's guts so it cannot work.  Hopefully the extra pressure exerted on the lower check will help it seat better and you won't lose pressure when the pump shuts off.  This is the way a system should be set up (with the only check valve on the pump itself) as it will cause the pump to start against a positive pressure, which is a good thing. 

If the lower check still leaks, you can add a new check up top, and see how long you can live with the water hammer.  But if the check on the pump will not hold, the only real fix is to pull the pump and replace it.

Benson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 11:44:01 AM »
Great!  Thanks so much for the advice.  I will try that. 

WhiteRee

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
Sounds like you may have a check valve problem.  I would remove the check valve before the pressure tank and see if the one on the pump is working as it should.  You can just gut the check valve and put it back as a coupling to put the pipe together.

i totally agree. check valve problem is the problem. but to be able to be sure on that i will remove first the check valve to see if one of the pump is working normally or not. your idea really matters.