Author Topic: cleaning rust out of the CSV  (Read 6187 times)

canadascott

• View Profile
cleaning rust out of the CSV
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:01:58 PM »
Hi,
Im a newbie so please bare with me.  I installed your valve as im on a dug well up here in Canada.  I bought 2 to have a backup.....luckily.  Resently my pump would not hold pressure and eventually ran constantly.  I remove the valve and it was full of sediment and rust.  I figure it was holding the valve from seating.  I replace the csv and everything returning to normally.  I intend installing a preefilter to protect the valve from this happening again.  Looking into the valve you can clearly see rust coating the valve internally.  Can you us say CLR to clean the valve and bring it back to service as my back up.   

Scott.
Awesome product

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: cleaning rust out of the CSV
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 07:28:15 AM »
Which CSV do you have?

canadascott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 09:27:15 AM »
Thanks for the reply Cary.  I have your CSV1A valves. 

Additional info...I have installed a prefilter now but the valve doesn't seem to like it as it will pressure up to 60 psi and then stop and chatter down to 50 some time 40.  So I pulled the filter from the filter housing and the valve seems OK.  What micro size of filter should I use.  This one is a 50 micron.

Scott

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 03:21:14 PM »
The CSV1A is easy to clean.  Just unscrew the red top.  Remove the spring, bolt washer on top of the spring, and the little brass washer on the diaphragm.  Then you can just pull up on the 10mm bolt head and the entire gut pack will come out.  You can clean it with CLR, acid, or chlorine.  Just don't let it soak.

When replacing everything just make sure the brass washer on top of the diaphragm has the sharp edge facing up, so it doesn't cut a slice out of the diaphragm.

canadascott

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 05:08:07 PM »
awesome thanks.

KULTULZ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 03:11:17 PM »

I remove the valve and it was full of sediment and rust.  I figure it was holding the valve from seating.  I replace the csv and everything returning to normally.  I intend installing a preefilter to protect the valve from this happening again.  Looking into the valve you can clearly see rust coating the valve internally.

Additional info...I have installed a prefilter now but the valve doesn't seem to like it as it will pressure up to 60 psi and then stop and chatter down to 50 some time 40.  So I pulled the filter from the filter housing and the valve seems OK.  What micro size of filter should I use.  This one is a 50 micron.

Scott

Was the pre-filter (assumed cartridge sediment) installed before the pressure tank?

I too want to install such a filter (along with H2O2 injection) before the CSV, pressure switch and tank to prevent fouling but have read the filter install may affect the pump. My pre-filter is after the tank and before the main filtration now.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 07:18:18 AM »
No the filter won't effect the pump.  But a filter before the CSV will see much higher pressure than a filter after the CSV.  You just have to make sure the filter is rated to handle the pressure your pump can build.  If you know the model of your pump and the depth to water in the well I can figure how much pressure your pump can build.  If you don't know the model then just attaching a pressure gauge prior to the CSV will show you the max pressure.

KULTULZ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 02:03:20 AM »
Thanx for the reply.

I have the pump info (Utilitech Pro Model #UT200 115V) (I know - builders grade).

The actual well info I do not have (does driller keep this info?).

I have read...  ::) ...that a blockage before the pressure switch may cause pump damage. It would be nice to keep everything fairly clean until it reaches the main filtration system.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 07:10:48 AM »
If any filter before the pressure switch completely clogs up it will deadhead the pump.  But if the filter is still allowing even 1 GPM through, it is enough to keep the pump cool.  A filter before the pressure switch just requires a little more attention than one installed after the pressure switch.