Author Topic: CSV3B pilot valve issues  (Read 5916 times)

nofears

• View Profile
CSV3B pilot valve issues
« on: September 05, 2016, 05:13:39 PM »
My pump has been cycling on and off very fast recently and I thought it was the pilot valve filter but I have a wye strainer before that now, so that wasn't the issue.  I took the cover plate off the main CSV and all looked ok.  I took the pilot valve apart and it seemed ok, no damaged O-rings or diaphragms.  I put it all back together and that CSV started working again...Then a few hours later, the pump began cycling again...So I again took apart the pilot valve, but this time took all pieces apart and scraped some small calcium deposits from the seating surfaces, cleaned the O-rings and checked all seats.  Put it all back together and nothing...still cycling.  Then apart again to re-check everything...then back together, started the pump and bled off any air from the top of the main CSV and also flushed out the wye strainer during operation...shut off the wye strainer bleeder and wha-la..the CSV started functioning again maintaining 105 psi during flow.

I have a feeling something is funky inside the pilot even though I can't tell what that might be.  Is there a rebuild kit for the pilot valve on the CSV3B ?

My parameters are:
psi switch settings - pump on at 100 psi, off at 120 psi.
pilot valve set point at 105 psi during flow.
2" CSV3B valve
7.5 HP submersible well pump with 2" discharge

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV3B pilot valve issues
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 08:13:04 PM »
Look inside the main valve.  I am afraid all the red powder coat is washed off and the big diaphragm is sticking.

nofears

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:09:02 PM »
Just went down to my well and noticed it was cycling again...flushed out the wye strainer bleeder and the valve began working again.  The strainer is not plugged by any means, but this process seems to get the valve operating correctly.

I did take the main valve apart yesterday but I did not note the condition of the internal powder coating.  So if this is indeed worn off, what are my options to ensure the main valve diaphragm is not sticking?

How can I determine if it is the main valve or the pilot valve?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »
I don't know what y-strainer you are talking about.  Send a picture and one of the inside of the main valve as well.

nofears

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »
It's actually a small 1/4 " y-strainer you sent me a couple years ago that I installed just before the red orifice "filter" fitting on the pilotry system before the pilot valve.

I'll take the main valve apart and send you a pic.

nofears

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
I just went down to my well and AGAIN it's cycling...so, I took apart the main valve and looked inside and the seating area under the main diaphragm doesn't have any red powder coat on it anymore.  I wasn't able to take a pic since I didn't have my phone and I wasn't planning on having to do this as I was hoping it was functioning normally.  The bottom of the main valve's diaphragm looks pretty good.

I put that back together ensuring the notches in the main body and diaphragm lined up.  I flushed the outlet side flex line , that goes between the pilot and the top of the main valve, and it had tons of flow and psi, not sure if this is normal or what considering it should probably have a regulated flow coming out of the pilot valve.  I buttoned everything up and started the well, and again it started cycling...so I opened up the bleeder on the y-strainer flush port and ran for a few seconds, closed it up and the main valve started working again...This really makes me think that the pilot valve is getting hung up and when I open the y-strainer flush port it "jogs" the pilot to control the pilot output psi to the main valve...

Heck, I don't know, I'm just guessing but I sure need this fixed or my pump is going to blow apart...PLEASE HELP CARY .

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 07:17:50 AM »
The powder coat below the diaphragm doesn't make much difference.  But if the powder coat is missing on the downstream side about half way up the side of the diaphragm, the raw metal will make the diaphragm stick and it won't move up and down as needed.  The pilot usually either works or it doesn't, so I don't think that is the problem.  You must be pumping quite a bit of abrasive material to have eaten out the powder coat already.  If it hasn't eaten into the metal, we can have the valve body re-powder coated.

nofears

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2016, 08:53:07 AM »
Yes, my well does produce some small sit and sands as I have to constantly clean the screens on my spinklers....it's a very old well and I pump the heck out of it.  It was obvious that the powder coat had been "sand blasted" off part of the main body on the inside.  I saw a lot of dark grey metal in there.  Should I just replace the main body complete at this time?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2016, 06:53:04 AM »
Looking at the pictures you emailed me, I think a diaphragm and a gut pack for the pilot may get it back to working.  That is quite a bit of sand damage.  I would also worry about the life of the pump having to work with that much sand.

nofears

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2016, 11:14:52 AM »
Cary, thanks for all your input and help.  You know, one thing I did notice that I haven't mentioned yet is that the metal retainer piece on the top of the main valve diaphragm is free and is no longer retained by the nub on the top of the diaphragm.  I hadn't mentioned that as I thought it was supposed to be that way but in looking at some pictures of the replacement parts for the valve it looks like that retainer is actually supposed to stay attached to the main diapragm by that nub on top of the diaphragm.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »
If you removed the coil spring, as many people do to lower the friction loss, then water pressure is the only thing keeping the washer pushed to the diaphragm.  But the valve will work fine even without it.  The new diaphragm will have a new washer with it.  I am glad the CSV lasted longer than the pump.  That is a lot of sand.