Author Topic: Pressure Problems Fixed - Not the CSV or Pump  (Read 1877 times)

hdude

• View Profile
Pressure Problems Fixed - Not the CSV or Pump
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:26:00 PM »
Follow-UP for my post on CSV, Cycle Sensor and Tuning Minimal Run Time

My uncle and I ran various tests on my system trying to determine why the CSV and new pump were not providing constant pressure, much less adequate pressure when running 6-8gpm demand for my GSHP.  When running my GSHP using my aunt’s system, I got 40psi in the house but when using my new pump/CSV @60psi, I only got 25psi in the house.  We came to the conclusion that somehow with my pump, either I had an obstruction in my lines or that my house was being fed through a 3/4" supply line.  So I started digging at the gate valve that I used to turn on the (backup) system from my aunt’s house to mine.

1.)  The shutoff valve I thought was to my aunt's system - actually shut off the 1-1/4” lines from both my system and hers.
2.)  When both systems were shut off, somewhere within the 400' of 1-1/4 piping around my house and yard - a  ¾”  pipe fed back into the 1-1/4 line, just before the junction that supplies my house via two(2) ¾” lines. 

With this discovery (and a lot of digging) and doing some repair and plumbing changes - I now have more or less constant pressure into the house even when running my GSHP.   I now have my CSV set to 55psi pressure switch @50/70psi and I am getting 50psi in the house while running my GSHP. I only see 1 or 2 psi drop when turning on additional faucets or showers. 

Note – Before I moved into the house,  ¾” water supply lines were installed in 1978 and then new 1-1/4” lines were installed in 1994 when the well was dug.  I added an additional ¾” line to the house in 2012 of the 1-1/4 line after the shutoff.  I am now in the process of replacing the 3/4" lines with a 1-1/4” lines all the way into my household distribution closet (even if now I am getting great pressure and flow).  With monitoring, I can attest that the pump is only cycling about 50 times a day (due to GSHP cooling running almost continually during the heat) instead of an estimated 400 a day previously.

I do think I will be adding an additional 10 gallon psi-kick for various reasons, including the fast fill time (30-40 seconds) after flusing a toilet when the GSHP isn't running.

Just want to add, the Cary and his staff provided great support in helping me implement their products and then later to address my problems. I will be installing CycleStop products on my (backup) aunts pump and supply system later this summer.