Author Topic: What to do, what to do.  (Read 5294 times)

Tracy R

• One lucky cricket
    • View Profile
What to do, what to do.
« on: October 10, 2018, 12:21:12 PM »
After serious research and replacing almost everything on my aunt's well water system, I believe that she needs the csv125.

Well: drilled w/5" casing
Depth is approx 136ft
Static head level is 30ft
Pump is a  4" Flotec 3/4hp  10gpm submersible: depth is 67ft
Pressure switch is 30/50
Pressure tank: 32gal Welxtrol wx- 203

Last May, she had to replace the pump (4" Webtrol /Franklin 1/2hp gpm unknown) and got the bigger one above. Didn't take long for things to go wrong. (Pump is to big and needs to go deeper). Now can't keep water going. Have to start manually, but have severe switch chatter as if tank preset and cut-in are to close. If pressure does get past "fighting" pressures, and starts it raise, it's VERY slow and very little water goes into tank.
I was thinking that I could make everything work if I lower the pump 20ft, and install the CSV-125(set to 40). Hoping tank is alright but found a 6gal if needed.
What do you think? Any help or advice you can give would be very appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: What to do, what to do.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 12:59:17 PM »
Well something isn't right.  A 10 GPM, 3/4 HP pumping from 30'-150' should be able to fill the 8 gallons in a WX203 in less than a minute.  If it is taking longer either the pump is not working properly or it needs to be lowered to get in the water as you suggest.  The CSV12540-1 or the CSV1A will work with a 30/50 switch.  But 40/60 pressure is more common these days.  So you may want to turn your pressure switch up to 40/60 and use a CSV1A or the CSV12550-1. 

Pressure switch chatter is usually from the pressure tank and pressure switch being too far from each other, or too much air in the pressure tank.

Tracy R

• One lucky cricket
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2018, 03:55:18 PM »
Pressure switch, tank and gauge are all on the same T, so it can't be distance. Because there didn't seem to be much water in the tank (no sweat on outside and no weight to speak of) I thought tank bladder was sticking to itself giving inaccurate pressure readings. So I emptied the tank of water and air pressure to zero, then added 38psi instead of 28. I reduced psi by 1 per cycle till chatter was better. Ended at 27psi, still have some chatter but not nearly as violent or at every cycle.
Gonna order csv as soon as my aunt gets back from town. I think she'll be easily pleased with the end result.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 04:03:31 PM »
Might even want to let out another pound or two of air from the tank.  The CSV will greatly cushion the starts and stops that it doesn't completely eliminate.

Tracy R

• One lucky cricket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2018, 04:25:20 PM »
I'm gonna follow your suggestion, set my switch to 40/60 and order the CSV12550-1. I should then increase air pressure in tank to 35psi, correct?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 04:44:48 PM »
That will work!

Tracy R

• One lucky cricket
    • View Profile