Author Topic: booster/jet pump application :: where to put check valve?  (Read 5190 times)

jrizzo

• View Profile
booster/jet pump application :: where to put check valve?
« on: February 03, 2019, 12:06:27 PM »
Hi -
I would appreciate it if someone could review my system and provide feedback & answer questions.

I am on a well.  My well pumps water into a holding/storage tank.  That part is fine.  I am trying to finish the install of the pump and pressure tank.  The pump and pressure tank are located next to the house where the copper pipes protrude from under the slab.

Here is what I have to work with.  The pump and CSV are not installed.
500 gl holding tank 6' H x 4' Diameter
    |
~60' 2" pvc
    |
Goulds HSC15, Multi-Stage Centrifugal Pump, 1-1/2 HP, 2 Stages, 1-1/4" Suction, 1" Discharge
    |
~5" 1" or 1 1/4" steel pipe
    |
PK1A PSIDE-KICK Pressure Tank Kit - 10 gallon; 50-70 pressure switch. I made a support to hold the tank horizontal
    |
~4' 1 1/4" pvc
    |    |
    |    | 1/2" copper line for outside water faucets.
    |    | 3/4" copper line for house water.
    | check valve --- ~70' 1 1/4 pvc --- ~500' 1" pvc to shop

The top of the pump is about 9-12" inches above the bottom of the holding tank.

My question is - Where do I put the check valve for maximum flow/pressure and to reduce water hammer on pump start and stop.  What type of check valve should I get?

I was planning on putting the check valve on the discharge side of the pump.  What I can find seems to indicate that is correct.(See attached)  I was considering using a FLOMATIC 4202SS2 check valve.

Is there anything else I should consider or feedback?

Thanks,
Joe

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: booster/jet pump application :: where to put check valve?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2019, 05:37:28 PM »
I prefer the check valve on the suction side of the booster pump.  However, it will work fine on the discharge side prior to the CSV.  Probably only need one float switch for the booster pump, but a Cycle Sensor would delete the need for a float switch to protect the booster pump from running dry.  Here is a drawing of a similar system.  I like your drawings.  What did you use to draw them?

jrizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 10:00:18 AM »
Thank you for the response.  I found these diagrams on beecavesdrilling and friedeldrilling websites.

Can you recommend a check valve for the application?  I was looking at a 2" PVC spring(not swing) check valve.  They can be purchased at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Thanks,
Joe

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2019, 11:01:23 AM »
That pump should have a 1 1/4" inlet, and you don't want any larger check valve than the pump pipe size.  And you don't want a plastic check valve.  A brass or stainless spring loaded check valve in 1 1/4" would be best.

jrizzo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2019, 01:16:49 PM »
Got it - thank you for the advice!  I was worried that a check valve on the intake side of the pump would be restrictive and cause problems.  I thought going bigger was better.  I will use a brass or stainless spring loaded 1 1/4" check valve as suggested.

I will order a Cycle Sensor Pump Monitor for the booster pump.  I can see how that can save the pump in several situations.  I have a Littlefuse PumpSaver on the well pump.  Not sure there is a compelling reason to replace it with a Cycle Sensor.  Let me know if you think otherwise.

Thanks again,
Joe

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2019, 02:20:13 PM »
The pumpsaver should work fine, but you might want to test it.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2019, 04:52:50 PM »
Water proof electric tape or use a heat shrink kit.