Author Topic: Pump Recommendation for new install  (Read 2317 times)

NeonKnight

• View Profile
Pump Recommendation for new install
« on: August 21, 2019, 01:46:54 AM »
Installing a new system and want to give the PK1A Pside-Kick  a try.

I would like to get a recommendation as to what is the best pump for my setup.

I am installing a new whole house potable water system.  Our well has been drilled and uses a Grundfos MS 402 to fill a Norwesco 500 gallon 4' diameter model 43101 cistern.  The well only produces about 3 - 4 GPM, and that is why the Cistern was installed.  There is a float switch installed in the Cistern to control the well pump filling the Cistern.

Everything is working great and the final step is to create a pressure system to draw from the cistern and feed the house.  There is about 400' of 1 1/4" PE 3408 / PE 4710 that runs from the pump house to the ground floor of a two story home.  The rise in elevation from the pump house to the main home is about 15' elevation (to the ground floor).

Including my shop and new house there will be 5 bathrooms 1 main kitchen, a small kitchenette, clothes washers and water heater (and a few small water consumers that I am sure I am forgetting). 

I don't want to pay for something that I don't need, but am willing to spend the $$$ for a quality pump. So please let me know what you all think would be the best pump for me to purchase.

Thank you for the advice!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pump Recommendation for new install
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 07:37:36 AM »
Because of the long distance and the two story house i would use a PK1A with a 10 gallon tank and set at 50/70.  It is hard to find a jet pump that will build than pump pressure.  You can use a multi-stage booster like the Goulds GBK.  However, my favorite pump for a cistern is a submersible well pump.  They are more quite, and more efficient as they are pushing water not sucking as a jet pump does.  Grundfos SP is my favorite submersible.  But I have been recommending a 1HP, 33 GPM Hallmark lately.  You can buy those for 140 bucks.  I don't think they are as good a quality, but you could replace it 3-5 times for what a Goulds or Grundfos cost.  In a cistern they are not hard to change out if needed.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:41:42 AM »
Putting a sub in a storage tank requires a flow inducer or shroud like in the pic below.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:43:53 AM »
You can also make a cradle and lay the pump on the bottom if you like.  Pic doesn't show the shroud, but it is needed.

NeonKnight

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 11:25:34 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I like the idea of the submersible pump and understand about the flow inducer. 

Ordered my PK1A set to 60 PSI with the 10 gallon tank and heavy duty pressure switch.