Author Topic: CSV1a stuck closed  (Read 1427 times)

brianf

• View Profile
CSV1a stuck closed
« on: December 21, 2019, 07:06:07 PM »
I have a valve installed that's been in happy use since 2010 on my home well. I noticed today that my pressure on the well side (i also have a radon system that masks the low pressure normally) was very low (~20) and the CSV was whistling as it does when it's near the cutoff pressure. After multiple debugging steps Including removing the internals, light cleaning etc, I determined something was wrong with the valve and removed it from the system. I'm now getting full flow that cycles low to high in about 45 seconds so I know my pump is good (it's only a few years old anyway).

I've now taken the internals completely apart which I didn't do the first time. It was pretty clogged with iron and somewhat hard to slide the valve up and down even after cleaning it out. So the question is, how do I tell if the rebuild kit is really needed, or if there is something else amiss? It seems to me that if the diaphragm wasn't working that it would stay full open not full closed. There was no water on the spring side of the diaphragm and visually it looks fine.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV1a stuck closed
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 07:30:02 AM »
Unless the diaphragm is torn and leaking it will be fine.  Probably just need to clean out the iron and get the shaft moving freely again, and it will work fine.  Cleaning out iron that clogs things up is normal, and may need some chlorine or CLR.