Author Topic: Hallmark 1 HP Well Pump with Custom PK1A PSIDE-KICK Pressure Tank Kit 10 Gallon  (Read 1708 times)

Hawkins

• View Profile
Looking to use this set up, but the well pump is a Hallmark 1 HP @ 33GMP.  The well is only 30 feet Deep with 10 feet of water.  The cycle stop is rated to 25 GMP.  The pump maybe overkill, but that is what is in there, with a 40/60 pressure cut off set at 55/75.  Should I replace the pump to 3/4 HP? Thanks

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
A lot of people are using that 1HP, 33 GPM pump because of such a good price.  It is a little overkill, but over-sized pumps are what a CSV is made to fix.  The CSV1A as comes in the PK1A kit will make that pump work from 1 GPM to about 15-30 GPM.  You may never use 25 GPM, which is OK, because the CSV will make that big pump work like a small pump or large pump as needed. 

That pump has a max head of 207', which is 89 PSI.  You will lose 3-5 PSI of that lifting from 10' or so.  With a pump that has a max pressure of say 85 PSI, I would not run the pressure switch any higher than 55/75, and 50/70 would be better.  You need at least 10 PSI difference between pump max pressure and pressure switch shut off point.  A 3/4HP 0r 1/2HP, in a 10 GPM series would be closer to the size you need, but they are several times more expensive than the 1HP, 33GPM.  Just let the CSV size the 1HP pump as needed.

Hawkins

• View Profile
Thank you very much.  Just what I was hoping to hear.  I did a GPM check this morning with a 5 gallon bucket.  It took 20 seconds to fill.  So that would make it 15 gallons a minute.  This was taken off the spin down filter before the rest of the system.  Would you recommend the 10 Gallon Pressure tank?  I like the smaller tank, because of the limited space, but worried that it would increase the pump cycling.  It is just the two of us, we do not use much water but as we are getting older we do use the toilet more often.  Thanks.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Higher than 40/60 pressure and/or multiple houses or people in the house I recommend the 10 gallon tank.  Higher pressures cause pressure tanks to hold less water.  But you could probably be fine with the 4.5 gallon tank since you don't have a lot of people using water.