Author Topic: Need help again ... Valve not working for our application..  (Read 1934 times)

sarg

• View Profile
Need help again ... Valve not working for our application..
« on: December 03, 2020, 08:49:58 AM »
I would really appreciate your opinion.
If I run the cold water at our sink and tub ( full open ) at the same time the valve will hold at about 43 psi. Normal usage for us is just the outlet at the shower being used while the wife or I take a shower and then the valve does not effect the pump cycle ..... it functions as if the valve were not there at all. ( I'm guessing not enough flow ... The cold side is probably only open less than half way to balance the mix with hot water ) 
Our well is 215 feet with 1 gpm with level 30 ft. from surface  per p/w provided in 1992 when the pump was installed. I calculate we are using an approx. 200 gal. reserve in the well pipe.
The current pump is a 3/4 Myers motor and I don't know the GPM of the pump.
I am having the 28 year old pump replaced in the near future primarily because of a suspected leaking check valve. ( well cycles once per hour approx )  We have a mobile home with 5 outlets i.e. Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, toilet, shower and outdoor spigot.
Questions are : What size and GPM pump would you recommend as a replacement ? ( The well company uses / sells Franklin pumps which show 7 or 10 GPM pumps available on the lower limits ).  Is it possible to increase the "flow" to the shower outlet ( 1/2" polybutylene piping )  to enable the CSV to function ? Is it possible to adjust the CSV so it would hold at a lower pressure such as 35 psi with the low flow rate ?  ( or are we in a "it is what it is " situation and the CSV was a wasted effort )
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 09:40:20 AM by sarg »

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Need help again ... Valve not working for our application..
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 10:15:58 AM »
You only have to be using a little over 1 GPM for the CSV to work. It would be very unusual for a shower to use less than 1 GPM?  But if it does just take out or drill out the so called "water saver" washer in the shower head.  Even if the shower uses less than 1 GPM the CSV will still positively affect the cycling.  The CSV will shut down to 1 GPM minimum.  If the shower is using 1/2 GPM the other 1/2 GPM is slowly filling the pressure tank.  Without the CSV the tank would fill in a couple of seconds.

Try setting the CSV while the shower is running.  If loosening the adjustment bolt does not reduce the pressure, you shower is not letting out even 1 GPM.  I always drill out the stupid water saver washer in the shower head so I can have good pressure in the shower.  I find that I use the same amount of water to take a shower with or without the water saver washer.  It just takes much longer to get a shower when the water is just trickling. 

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:36:48 AM »
Could you provide any guidance on the appropriate pump size ?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 10:48:42 AM »
A 3/4HP , 10 GPM like you have is best for that depth and pressure.  However, Franklin 5 through 25 GPM pumps have been redesigned since they bought out Jacuzzi Pumps and are not nearly as good a pump as they use to be.  Franklin motors are still good but I don't like their impeller dragging floating stage type design pumps after they changed them.  A Goulds or Grundfos would be better, and there are many other brands better than Franklin.

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 11:40:10 AM »
I've taken a gallon water jug and measured the GPM with the cold side opened approx. to where is normal for a shower. The result was about 2 GPM ........ the shower head has no restriction or water saver feature on it.

Would reducing the "hold" setting on the CSV be of any value to get the valve to function ? The relation between the GPM & the PSI is what is a little confusing.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:42:27 AM by sarg »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 01:58:45 PM »
If you have a 40/60 pressure switch, while running the 2 GPM shower, loosen the adjustment bolt on the CSV1A until it steadies at 50 PSI constant.