Author Topic: CSV and yard hydrant  (Read 1397 times)

Muleman

• View Profile
CSV and yard hydrant
« on: August 18, 2021, 09:04:34 AM »
We live in an old farm house we’ve completely remodeled.  As part of the remodel we hooked up to county water.  There is an old 1.5 hp pump that was used for water when the place was a functioning farm.  It is a good well with plenty of water and provides at least 5 gallon a minute at 50 psi.  Had a well company out to test the well to confirm it still worked after being dormant for many years.  It is located about 175 feet from the house. 

The well provided water to the house as well as four yard hydrants that were used to water livestock. The pressure tank had failed and water lines were old corroded galvanized pipe so all well plumbing in the house has been removed and all pipes replaced with Pex-A.  Just a capped line in from the well and a line out to the yard hydrants.  The line out to the hydrants is connect to county water and three hydrants work and one does not.  The one that does not work is tapped into the line between the well and the pressure tank, according to the neighbor, a farmer that helped previous owner install the hydrant. 

I would like to connect the well to the hydrants to water our mule, horse, chickens and garden.  Also thinking about using it as a water source for a sprinkler system and like the steady pressure of the cycle valve.  My concern is it seems I’ve read a CSV doesn't function well if there is a hydrant in the line after the well and before the pressure tank. 

I appreciate any information, guidance or thoughts on my situation, thank you!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: CSV and yard hydrant
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2021, 07:27:47 AM »
The CSV always functions well.  it is the hydrant that won't function well if installed prior to the CSV.  All that means is the CSV must be installed prior to the pressure tank/switch and before any hydrants or tees in the line.  We make the PK1AM or the PK125 to take care of that.

Muleman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2021, 09:01:25 PM »
So will a PK1AM installed in my basement (my only option) allow the one hydrant tapped into the supply line from the well to function normally at the constant pressure setting in the PK1AM or will the hydrant function at the back pressure created by CSV maintaining its downstream pressure?  Or would that hydrant just not function at all? 

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2021, 04:46:49 PM »
The CSV part of the PK1AM needs to go before the hydrant.