Author Topic: Yard Hydrant hook up to Well Pressure Tank outlet  (Read 493 times)

Stacks056

• View Profile
Yard Hydrant hook up to Well Pressure Tank outlet
« on: May 16, 2023, 03:39:30 PM »
Hello,

I thought I'd ask all you smart people if there was anything to watchout for when connecting a yard hydrant to a well pressure tank. 

My plan is to run PVC pipe 1.25" to the desired location, drain the tank, connect the pipe to the tank outlet, connect the pipe to the 3/4" hydrant, open the tank to the well pump and let it fill, then open the hydrant and watch water flow like a tsunami:)

is it really that simple, or are there issues to watch out for related to pressure and head elevation? Or connection types etc

thanks,

chris

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Yard Hydrant hook up to Well Pressure Tank outlet
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2023, 12:07:07 PM »
Yes, adding a frost free hydrant is really that easy.  What is hard is managing the flow rate with a frost free hydrant.  Unlike a little hose bib a frost free will open enough to drop the pressure to almost nothing.  Then if you do not open the frost free enough, the pump will cycle on and off which is what destroys pumps.  Adding a Cycle Stop Valve will let you use the hydrant or any water anyway you want.  It won't help with pressure if you open the hydrant too much, but will stop the cycling when less water is needed or being used.