Author Topic: Middle Georgia Area pump/irrigation guy recommendations  (Read 2118 times)

Joseph Pierce

• View Profile
Caveat: I am a pump/irrigation/water system novice.

I purchased 21 acres of a bankrupt golf course and am currently building a house.   My property includes the old pump station as well as the pond used for irrigation water. I want to be able to utilize the pond for irrigation and also provide water to all 21 acres eventually.  Now I am a total novice to irrigation systems and design as well as pump systems, but I have tried to learn as much as possible.   

The pump station consists of two 25 hp vertical turbine pumps on 3 phase power.  It also has a jockey pump.  there is a large tank( pressure tank I am assuming from what I have learned.) and some kind of valve. The motors run, but I know the irrigation system was borderline non functional when I bought the property.  The system also appears pretty neglected with rust everywhere.

Much of the irrigation piping has been torn up from the dirt work around the house and earth moving to remove old greens.  I know where the mainlines are and they are untouched, but all the lateral lines are torn up.  All of the existing heads are valve in head rotors that were ran by a rainbird golf course controller.  All of the wires have been cut/torn etc.

My initial thoughts were to scrap the whole system and start new. I know its a big project, but I still have to budget conscious. I feel like a golf course style irrigation system with VFD pumps and valve in head rotors will be very very expensive. So my idea is to utilize a regular turbine pump with a CSV/tank/pressure switch to supply an irrigation system with normal style valves and rotors. 

So with all that said, does anyone know or have a recommendation for someone in the Middle Georgia area that can help me with this project? At the very least someone that can help me with the pump station side of the equation that has experience utilizing CSV's in the system.

Thanks!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Middle Georgia Area pump/irrigation guy recommendations
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 03:17:31 PM »
We help people with systems like this all over the world.  The CSV system is so simple I can talk people through it and never leave my office. That being said we have a salesman in Tifton, GA, who would be glad to help if needed.

The jockey pump maybe large enough to do what you need.  A 5HP or larger pump will do 50-100 GPM at the pressure you need.  But if either of the old 25HP turbines are still good, we can utilize them if you want as well.

Usually the biggest part of a job like this is getting rid of all the stuff you don't need or doesn't work.  All you need is a Cycle Stop Valve on the discharge of the pump or pumps you want to use.  Then connect those lines to the irrigation lines.  At the beginning of the irrigation line place a tee.  From that tee we connect a little 86 gallon size pressure tank and a pressure switch or switches if more than one pump.  Your done.  Look in the Pictures and Cad drawings section for something with two turbines and a jockey. 

Those Golf course head require like a 100 PSI so they shoot a long ways and they don't have heads in the way of the golfers.  You can cut the cost of irrigation ih half by placing heads closer together and using 50-60 PSI instead.

Joseph Pierce

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »
Hi Cary,

Yes please pass on his info if you will and thank you for the reply.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 04:04:22 PM »
I sent you a private message with Larry's phone number.