Author Topic: Guidance on a CSV125-1 installation  (Read 2301 times)

sarg

• View Profile
Guidance on a CSV125-1 installation
« on: April 13, 2021, 12:54:59 PM »
Hello once again.
I received the 125-1 today and it is functioning as it should.
I do however have leaks i.e. drips at both ends ... the exit end being worse. I have taken it apart and reassembled three times without success getting the drips to stop. I've used the standard white teflon and tried the .0035 gray as well.
I am using 1-1/4 pvc x 1" barbed fittings and now wonder if the "plastic to plastic" may be part of my problem.

Are the brass or stainless a better option to get a seal ?

The red collar on the valve was very loose on receipt so I hand tighten that .... I do not think that's the source of my leaks.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Guidance on a CSV125-1 installation
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 06:54:31 AM »
If the plastic fittings are bottoming out they are your problem.  If they are not bottoming out, you should be able to tighten them more.  I know it says hand tight only and no pipe dope, but you can get them as tight as needed and use teflon paste over the tape if needed.

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 08:02:01 AM »
Thank you. We'll give it another try this afternoon.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 08:24:38 AM »
All those valves are made in the same mold. The threads should be perfect and consistent.  But if you can't make it seal I will gladly send you another CSV to try?

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2021, 01:52:32 PM »
Well ... No success. I did confirm the fittings are not bottoming out.
I returned to the project last Thursday and tried again without success and decided to leave it be to avoid further frustration.
Today I tried twice with just the teflon tape and finally gave it a third try with the pipe dope over the tape. All three occasions resulting in the same drip generated on the exit side.
Should have stuck with the metal valves.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 03:37:47 PM by sarg »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2021, 07:20:56 AM »
Still think it more likely a problem with the male thread fittings than the CSV.  But I am sorry you have had to go to so much trouble.  Will send you a new CSV on Monday just to eliminate it as a possibility. 

sarg

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2021, 09:17:50 AM »
Mr. Austin .... If your experience points to the fittings I will order a couple Stainless from Supplyhouse. The valve is functioning as it should and I imagine my leaking issues are all about my installation "technique".
Every time I try to go cheap it bites me in the butt.
I should have ordered the CSV1A like is in the house to begin with.
Many thanks for your guidance.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2021, 06:47:33 PM »
Nothing wrong with the CSV125 as compared to the CSV1A.  I have received a few back other people said were leaking at the threads.  Testing them on my test pit with worn out galvanized nipples I can't make them leak.  I think it is the fittings, especially if they are plastic and you used the same ones twice.  But I will still send you a new valve as I would like to make sure those threads are new when you go to all that trouble of replacing the other one.  Call the office on Monday and they will get you a new one in the mail.