Author Topic: Back Pressure from CSV-125  (Read 2737 times)

jbmike7@bellsouth.net

• View Profile
Back Pressure from CSV-125
« on: May 09, 2021, 08:55:45 PM »
Has anyone been experiencing massive BACK PRESSURE while using a CSV-125?. I installed one on my system and jump from 70 psi to 170 psi with a 1/2 hp deep well pump 100' down using 100 psi 1" Poly pipe!. Had no problems but a Well Pump and Tank person suggested I take that CSV valve off immediately and I could go to his house and see his VFD set up and he gets constant water pressure w/o excessive BACK PRESSURE and his VFD protects his system from several problems that come with constant pressure system.
I like the CSV valve and the constant 50 psi I was experiencing but that 170 psi BACK PRESSURE scares me now that I was made aware the problems I was looking at. So far I have been very lucky I didn't have a BURST PIPE or DAMAGED PUMP.
Anyway to adjust that BACK PRESSURE on the CSV-125 valve?.

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Back Pressure from CSV-125
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2021, 09:50:52 AM »
ROFLMAO!  I would not be calling myself a "Pump and Tank" person if I didn't know pumps any better than that.  Back pressure is good for a pump.  Cycling on and off or varying the speed is the worst thing you can do to a pump.  You are already running 40 to 60 PSI on the surface, and the 100' to water adds another 50 PSI to that.  So, for your pump to supply you any water at all it must be able to build at least 110 PSI back pressure. 

110 PSI is how much back pressure your depth and working pressure cause to the pump.  All the CSV does is make the pump think it is in a deeper well so it can supply less water when you need it to do that.  That pump can easily work in a deeper well, it just pumps less water from a deeper depth. 

Even 160# pipe can easily handle that kind of pressure as the burst pressure of pipe is 2-5 times the rated pressure.  Not having enough back pressure on a pump is hard on a pump.  Varying the speed is hard on a pump.  Variable speed controllers are expensive, don't last very long, cause pumps to not last very long, and give a multitude of other problems. 

The CSV was designed to replace troublesome and expensive VFD's or variable speed pumps, and has done so many hundreds of thousands of times since 1993 when we started CSV.  Any pump man who hasn't studied this in the last 30 years and doesn't know VFD's are a money pit and the back pressure from a Cycle Stop Valve is a good thing should not be promoting stuff when he has no idea how pumps work.

jbmike7@bellsouth.net

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2021, 10:28:43 AM »
ROFLMAO! Not familiar with that term?. So would you say I should continue with the CSV-125 that I have on my system?. I really miss that constant water pressure!.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 11:10:59 AM »
Rolling On Floor Laughing My A Off!  The CSV125 has a max back pressure of 150 PSI.  But I have seen them last many years with a lot more pressure than that.  You really need the CSV1A to handle the 170 PSI back pressure.  But there is some fudge factor figured in on top of the 150 PSI rating, so if it is working fine I wouldn't change a thing. 

The VFD needs extra protection as VFD's are hard on pumps.  There is really not much that can go wrong with a CSV system, which is why pump guys that know how they work don't like them.  99% of pump guys know very little about pumps, and are just pushing what their supply house wants them to push, which of course are expensive and short lived VFD systems.

Maybe your pump guy will learn something from his experience.  But if he really thinks back pressure is bad for pumps he maybe too far gone already.  Once they drink the VFD Koolaid they rarely listen to reason any longer.  They make so much money selling VFD's compared to regular pump systems they will no longer listen to reason.  Eventually the homeowners figure it out and educate themselves about VFD's, which is where a lot of our CSV customers come from.  Read our reviews and you will find many who have replaced troublesome VFDs systems with Cycle Stop Valves over the years. 

If you want your pump man to make a lot of money off of you then get a VFD.  If you like to keep your money and not wake up to a lack of water coming out of the faucets then get a CSV system.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2021, 11:22:56 AM »
in 1994 several of the major pump companies "blacklisted" the Cycle Stop Valve.  It took us several years to find this out. But a few years later an engineer for one of those companies retired and called me.  Said that since he no longer worked for them he could tell me what happened.  He said they called a company wide meeting and showed a video of me testing pump/valves in their test facility in 1994.  The quote was, "These Cycle Stop Valves make pumps last longer and use smaller pressure tanks.  This company makes pumps and tanks.  So, any employee who mentions a Cycle Stop Valve will be fired immediately." 

This is WHY you won't see any pump company pushing Cycle Stop Valves.  This is also exactly why pump companies spend so much money advertising Variable Speed Pumps or VFD's.  They spend the most money advertising the products that make them the most money.  People who fall for the big add hype of a VFD will end up spending many times more money and having way less dependable water supply than those who don't fall for the hype of the VFD advertising.