Author Topic: Lot of air in the piping  (Read 1473 times)

la65058

• View Profile
Lot of air in the piping
« on: July 03, 2022, 07:45:29 PM »
I installed the PK125 PSIDE KIT, now I have a lot of air in the water line. I know it is not the PK 125 but looks like water well snifter valve lets in the air and when the pump comes on the air enters the piping. With the 80 gal. tank I had before I never had air in the pipe. Do I need to remove the water well snifter valve with the PK125? My wife is ready to go back with big tank and get rid of the PK125!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Lot of air in the piping
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2022, 11:26:49 AM »
Sounds like you had an old style air over water tank?  If so, the air maker system will need to be eliminated to switch to a diaphragm style tank.  It has nothing to do with the CSV.  I would first just try removing the above ground check valve with the Schrader attached.  That should keep the bleeder orifice that is 5' down the well from opening up and letting in air.  But if it doesn't stop the air, the pump will need to be pulled up 5' and ;lug the bleeder.

Diaphragm tanks are much less maintenance and work better.  But if you have Sulfur smell in the water the old air over water tank helps remove the smell and changing to a diaphragm tank may not be a good idea.

la65058

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2022, 05:06:42 PM »
I know there is no bleeder orifice in the pipe since I had the pump out 3 years back to put a new pump. There are several small holes in the pipe above the pump to let the water out. Could I just cap the Schrader? Would that work or not? I have 1 1/4" pvc pipe about 100 '.
Thought I read before it is not good to have the pipe full of water when pump starts. I do not know if true.

Thanks for the quick reply!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 06:28:39 PM by la65058 »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2022, 12:29:12 PM »
Some people drill holes in the pipe as a cheap way of doing a bleeder orifice.  But the hole will not close under pressure like a bleeder.  You can try removing or capping the Schrader, but that is like holding your finger over a straw full of ice tea to hold the water in the pipe and keep the air out.  If you have any small leaks it will still fill with air and blow a glass out of your hand.

If it does work it will probably cause a loud thump or water hammer when the pump starts, as the line goes from negative to positive pressure and hits the above ground check valve hard.

Two completely different type systems.  With the old air over water tank you can have holes or a bleeder in the line, but not with a bladder/diaphragm type tank.

la65058

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2022, 02:59:45 PM »
Should I not cap the air valve off till I fix the holes in the pipe down by the pump and remove the check valve? Water hammer does not sound good.

Or do like my wife wants, go back with a bladderless tank!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 03:02:33 PM by la65058 »

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2022, 06:42:50 AM »
You need to remove the Schrader and above ground check valve, plug the holes in the drop pipe, and install a small diaphragm type tank.  If you do that I would not expect to hear from you for 30 years.  Or, you can remove the CSV and go back to the old way, which will deliver varying pressure while cycling the pump to death, and causes many problems over the years.

la65058

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2022, 10:35:23 AM »
I capped the schrader last night and check for any hammer this morning, no sound of water hammer and no air in pipes. I will soon pull the pump and fix the holes and remove the check valve above ground.
Thanks for your help.
 One more thing. The water pressure seams low, should I need to adjust the pressure switch. It turns on at 20 psi and turns off at 42 psi. The pressure in the tank is 43 psi when the pumps stops. Open a faucet and the pressure drops to 30 psi till it goes to 20 psi.
I have the 40 psi valve
PK125 Pside-Kick Pressure Tank Kit
1 HP in the well pump 100 feet below ground

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2022, 11:34:03 AM »
With a 40 PSI valve you need to turn the pressure switch up to about 30/50.  Tighten the large adjustment nut about 3 full turns to the right an try it again.  Then you will need about 25 PSI air in the tank.  but you cannot check the air pressure in the tank until you turn the pump off and drain all the water from the tannk.

la65058

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2022, 07:26:06 AM »