Author Topic: Pump setup  (Read 2352 times)

Magnum2021

• View Profile
Pump setup
« on: December 20, 2021, 11:02:17 AM »
I'm new to this site and have some questions. I am designing a new pump setup pumping water out of a pond. The system will water 2 food plots that are about a half acre a piece. So I would like to hopefully get enough flow to water 1 at a time. I've already purchased a Gould's J10S pump and a screened filter for the suction side. I also designed/installed my home irrigation about 10 yrs ago, so I know what to do after I get the pump going. I just need some help on how to setup the pump/tank to get the most flow. I was doing some researching and saw the CSV you have advertised, and thought it was a good design for me but not sure which one. Any help greatly appreciated and thanks!

Cary Austin

• Inventor, Owner, Chief Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cyclestopvalves.com
Re: Pump setup
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2021, 08:14:10 AM »
A J10S pump works very well with a PK1A kit using a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank.  The CSV1A in the PK1A will give you strong constant pressure and keep the pump from cycling as long as you are using more than 1 GPM.

Magnum2021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2021, 09:19:51 AM »
I noticed on the options for buying the PK1A that I can choose a 'low pressure cut off' for the pressure switch(my pump came with a pressure switch attached to it). Is this something I would need so that if my suction filter that's in the pond ever got clogged, it would shut done the pump? Thanks!

Magnum2021

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2021, 09:27:45 AM »
Another question is: if I have this setup(J10S/PK1A) sitting right next to the water with no more than 5 feet to the water, what kind of flow will I be working with if you had to guess or maybe you know pretty close from experience?

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2021, 08:43:20 AM »
A low pressure cut off switch will protect the pump if you run out of water for some reason.  However, they can be a nuisance having to be manually reset every time the power goes off or you open one too many faucets.

The J10S from that depth should give you up to 15 GPM at 50 PSI.

Magnum2021

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2021, 09:10:50 AM »
Ok, thanks! I'm going to be running it with my generator for now, so the resetting part will not be an issue. I'm trying to keep the cost down and don't want to have power run there just yet. After I get all my parts, I'm probably gonna need some advise on how to set this thing up if you don't mind. I live in Rochelle GA by the way.

Cary Austin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2021, 09:13:10 AM »
Be glad to help.  Call if you have questions.